Saturday 25 February 2012

REVIEW - Fated by Sarah Alderson

Title: Fated 
Author: Sarah Alderson
Series: Fated #1
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Release date: January 5th 2012
Genres: YA Paranormal Romance
Links: Goodreads / Amazon / Book Depository
Source: Bought paperback

Summary:
What happens when you discover you aren't who you thought you were? And that the person you love is the person who will betray you? If your fate is already determined, can you fight it? 

When Evie Tremain discovers that she’s the last in a long line of Demon slayers and that she’s being hunted by an elite band of assassins –Shapeshifters, Vampires and Mixen demons amongst them – she knows she can’t run. They’ll find her wherever she goes. Instead she must learn to stand and fight. 

But when the half-human, half-Shadow Warrior Lucas Gray - is sent to spy on Evie and then ordered to kill her before she can fulfil a dangerous prophecy, their fates become inextricably linked. The war that has raged for one thousand years between humans and demons is about to reach a devastating and inevitable conclusion. Either one or both of them will die before this war ends. 

If your life becomes bound to another’s, what will it take to sever it?




4/5

I first came across Sarah Alderson when I read Hunting Lila. I loved that book and so I couldn't wait to get my hands on Fated.

I really liked this book. The story was well written and the plot line was very interesting. The one thing I really liked was the changing POV between Evie and Lucas. Even though it was in 3rd person, I felt that I got a better understanding of both the characters, especially Lucas. I felt for both of them, they have been through so much and are just trying to live through each day as it passes. Evie is sassy, determined and a kick-ass heroine. She never gives up without a fight. Lucas, on the other hand, is fierce, gorgeous and completely self-sacrificing. He will do anything to protect Evie, even if it means giving up his life. (Why aren't there guys like him in real life? Why I ask you?)
Alderson has created a world of very imaginative paranormal creatures. We have Mixens (who's skin is acid), Scorpio Demons (you can kind of guess from the name), Thirsters (vampires) and Shadow Warriors. The idea that these creatures come from different "realms" was a very cool and unique concept. 

After reading Hunting Lila, I knew that Alderson could write a great romance and Fated proved no different. The chemistry between Evie and Lucas was great and I loved watching them interact with one another. However, I did feel that it was a bit rushed. I would have liked to see them get to know one another a little more before the whole declaration of love. Insta-love stories are beginning to annoy me lately and so this one did bug me but I was able to get over it. 

In the end, this was a fun, action-packed thrill ride, with plenty of twist and turns. If you liked Hunting Lila, then I highly recommend this one. Although I did enjoy Hunting Lila a tad bit more, I can't wait to see what's next in store for Evie and Lucas.


Teasers:
"Oh great." Evie threw her hands up in the air. "I'm an untrained demon hunter with only crap half-powers, suddenly expected to go all Buffy and save the world."


"Er, I thought you were here to maybe teach me how to kick some demon butt or something. Because forgive me if I got this wrong but I don't think Chanel garments are going to do it - unless I'm missing something. Are demons allergic to fashion? Am I supposed to blind them with sequins? Give them a cardiac arrest by showing them the price tags?"




No comments :

Post a Comment

We love hearing what you guys have to say so why not leave us a comment :) Thanks for stopping by!