Tuesday 22 July 2014

SERIES REVIEW - The Selection Series by Kiera Cass

Title: The Selection 
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #1
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Release Date: June 7th 2012
Genres: YA Dystopian Romance 
Links: Goodreads / Amazon UK / Amazon / Book Depo
Source: Bought paperback 

Synopsis:
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself—and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.



Title: The Elite 
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #2
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Release Date: April 23rd 2013
Genres: YA Dystopian Romance 
Links: Goodreads / AmazonUK / 
Source: Bought paperback 

Synopsis:
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.




Title: The One 
Author: Kiera Cass
Series: The Selection #3
Publisher: HarperCollins Children's Books
Release Date: June 5th 2014
Genres: YA Dystopian Romance 
Links: Goodreads / AmazonUK / 
Source: Bought paperback 

Synopsis:
Thirty-five girls came to the palace to compete in the Selection. All but six have been sent home. And only one will get to marry Prince Maxon and be crowned princess of Illea.

America still isn’t sure where her heart lies. When she’s with Maxon, she’s swept up in their new and breathless romance, and can’t dream of being with anyone else. But whenever she sees Aspen standing guard around the palace, and is overcome with memories of the life they planned to share. With the group narrowed down to the Elite, the other girls are even more determined to win Maxon over—and time is running out for America to decide.

Just when America is sure she’s made her choice, a devastating loss makes her question everything again. And while she’s struggling to imagine her future, the violent rebels that are determined to overthrow the monarchy are growing stronger and their plans could destroy her chance at any kind of happy ending.



3.5/5

*MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS*

I had really high hopes for this series. I felt like I was gonna really enjoy it. The first book was so good. It sucked me in and I couldn't get enough of it. I really liked Maxon, and America was an OK protagonist. I didn't really connect with her much but she didn't overly annoy me. I loved the relationship that developed between the two of them. They struck up such a cute friendship and there was no nasty insta-love. The chemistry between the two  was great and I was really rooting for them. I thought the world it was set in was fascinating and the idea of The Selection was really interesting.  We learn a bit about the rebels and the conflicts going on outside the palace. I was looking forward to learning more about them. The ending though I wasn't overly happy with as the dreaded love triangle was thrown in. 

I had hopes that the story would pick up a bit in The Elite but sadly the entire book was primarily focused on the love triangle between America, Maxon and Aspen. I hate love triangles but I can handle them if I am in the right mood. Sadly I could not handle this one. At all. America really pissed me off. She could not stick to one choice for more than a few minutes. She kept leading both Aspen and Maxon on and that was not cool. I knew she really cared for Maxon and I know she had a history with Aspen but it got to the point where I didn't really care who she ended up with I just wanted her to pick someone! I wanted more from the story. I wanted a deeper insight into the castes and the rebels. But sadly this didn't happy. There were a few scenes here and there involving the rebels and the attacks on the castle but not as much as I was hoping.

The One was better than The Elite thankfully. There was much more focus on the rebels and more of a storyline outside of the love triangle. America still annoyed the hell out of me though. Although she does have a good heart and does try to make the right choices she still was so stupid about certain things and just frustrated me to no end. Maxon I still really liked. Even though he annoyed me a couple times too I still was rooting for him. I enjoyed the story too. It was entertaining and it kept my attention. I'm happy with how it ended, even if most of the action that took place in the entire book happened in the last chapter. 

Overall I am slightly disappointed with this series but I still enjoyed it. If you don't have any problems with love triangles then I would say to give it a shot. I just really don't have the patience for them


No comments :

Post a Comment

We love hearing what you guys have to say so why not leave us a comment :) Thanks for stopping by!