Friday 9 January 2015

REVIEW - The Sound by Sarah Alderson

Title: The Sound 
Author: Sarah Alderson
Publisher: Simon & Schuster UK
Release Date: August 1st 2013
Genres: YA Contemporary Thriller
Links: Goodreads / Amazon / B&N / Book Depo 
Source: Bought paperback

Summary:
When aspiring music journalist Ren Kingston takes a job nannying for a wealthy family on the exclusive island of Nantucket, playground for Boston's elite, she's hoping for a low-key summer reading books and blogging about bands. Boys are firmly off the agenda.

What she doesn't count on is falling in with a bunch of party-loving private school kids who are hiding some dark secrets, falling (possibly) in love with the local bad boy, and falling out with a dangerous serial killer...



4/5

As expected, this was another brilliant book from Sarah Alderson. I have yet to come across a book I didn't like by this author.
The Sound was a highly entertaining read. I loved the setting of Nantucket. Alderson describes it so beautifully that I've now added it to my list of places to visit. Hopefully there won't be a serial killer running around when I go though :P The book was full of great characters. I really liked Ren. It was a nice change to read about a British protagonist. I loved Ren's wit and sarcasm. She had some fantastic lines. I just have to share one of my favourites:

"I refuse to be a cliche. I refuse, point blank, to fall for the hot moody guy with anger issues. Is my name Bella Swan? Am I the protagonist of every paranormal romance lining the shelves of Waterstones? No. I am not.

Also, unlike Edward Cullen, the voice in my head pipes up, Jesse most certainly hasn't fallen in insta-love with me and isn't torturing himself over the fact that he can't be with me in case he eats me."

I will admit though that her continuous back and forth thoughts between Jeremy and Jesse did get a little tiring after a while. But I absolutely adored Jesse. He was a fantastic love interest. It's hard not to fall in love with him. He and Ren had great chemistry and they shared some really sweet and swoony scenes.
And what's a book without some loathsome characters. There was definitely no shortage of them here. So many I wanted to sucker punch, they were so vile. Alderson did a great job writing these characters.

One reason I didn't give this 5 stars was that I felt it was too focused on the romance rather than on the serial killer aspect. It was as if that took a back seat while another mystery was explored. The uncovering of who the serial killer was felt very rushed, and was left literally until the very end. There also wasn't really much of a motive given for the killings so that left me a little confused. I just felt it could have done with being a bit more fleshed out. 

Apart from not being as thrilling as I would have liked it to be, I still really enjoyed this. It was fun, sexy and with just enough mystery to keep me hooked.



No comments :

Post a Comment

We love hearing what you guys have to say so why not leave us a comment :) Thanks for stopping by!